The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC) Northwest London (NWL) was established in October 2008. CLAHRCs undertake high quality applied health research focused on the needs of patients and service users, and support the translation of research evidence into practice in the NHS and social care.
CLAHRC NWL is part of the NIHR Infrastructure, hosted by Chelsea and Westminster Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and the main academic partner is Imperial College London. We have been successful in securing funding from 2014-2018. CLAHRC NWL is a £10 million initiative with a further £10 million in matched funding contributed from partner organisations. We work in partnership with NHS, academia, patient groups, providers, commissioners, industry and the third sector.
- understanding care from the perspective of patients and carers through engaging patients and members of the community with the design and development of care
- bringing research more rapidly into everyday practice, utilising rapid-cycle research, improvement methodologies and rigorous evaluation of clinical and cost effectiveness
- adopting industrial standards of quality in the NHS through utilising information to drive evidence based implementation and support evidence based practice
- increasing staff capacity to implement change and improvements across professional and organisational boundaries.
We bring together the knowledge and insights needed to make lasting improvements to healthcare. We work with people in the health service, researchers and patients to:
- improve quality, especially outcomes and patient experience
- build capacity to make improvements in the health sector
- reduce costs
- support partnership and collaboration across North West London.